Closure Information for bad weather
On rare occasions, particularly in winter, the weather can be so severe that getting to and from College becomes hazardous. Really bad weather is disruptive and can cause anxiety and stress.
Our approach will always be to remain open wherever possible unless the risk is too high.
Severe Overnight Weather:
If the College has to be closed or there is to be a later start a message will be read out on BBC Radio Lancashire on 103.9, 95.5, 104.5FM or their website www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/local_radio
Please also try 2 BR on 99.8 and 107.5FM www.2br.co.uk
All families will be contacted wherever possible by text message about College closures. It is vital we are provided with the correct mobile number – please notify us of any changes. The closure will also be sent via the Pendle Vale App and placed on the College website www.pendlevale.lancs.sch.uk
PLEASE ASSUME THE COLLEGE IS OPEN UNLESS YOU RECEIVE A MESSAGE VIA THE ABOVE COMMUNICATION.
When the weather is bad:
PLEASE DO NOT RING THE COLLEGE UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY
The College office is open from 8.00am until 4pm.
If any pupils arrive at College unaware of the closure a member of staff will be here to help. Pupils will be able to phone their parents to decide whether they should return home or wait to be collected.
If the weather deteriorates during the day:
- The College will close only in extreme cases
- Any decision to close the College will be made by the Headteacher and other Senior Managers.
- All families will be notified by text message if the College is to close (it is vital that we are kept up to date with any changes in the primary contact number).
- The closure may be staggered
- Please avoid ringing the College to enquire if we are closing or to collect your children early. We need to keep the phone lines open to make any necessary arrangements and avoid further disruption to getting the pupils home. On these occasions pupils will be allowed to use their mobile phones to contact parents.
- Pupils who are usually collected from College will be allowed to contact home so that they can decide the best way to get home.
- College will be kept open with staff on hand until the last pupil has left.